Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Pennies from Heaven

I am missing my brother today. It's been over 18 years since I have seen his face or felt his warm bear hugs.  There are days were I have a sweet reminders of him and other days, like today, where I miss him so much that I remember the moment I found out that he was ripped from our lives.

I was giving change back to someone today and realized that I didn't have any quarters left in my drawer, so I gave her .60 in dimes and .03 in pennies.  I apologized to her about my lack of quarters and she started to tear up.  I felt a little awkward until she said, "it is said that when you see dimes and pennies, it means that angels are near.  Thank you for giving me a handful of them." In those two sentences, I recalled a sweet memory of my angel brother.

When I was growing up, my brother threw pennies away.

He didn't like them.

He didn't want to have them.

When I found this out, I begged for him to give them to me instead.  And, being his favorite (and only) sister, he did.

This exchange of pennies went on for a couple years. 

Shortly after he died, I remember hearing what sounded like a handful of pennies fall on the concrete. I looked down and noticed, not a handful, but one penny lying on the sidewalk in front of me. Around the same time, on the same day, my mom sat down at her desk at work, looked up and saw a penny balancing on the edge of a binder that was sitting on a shelf above her desk.  These two experiences were a sweet reminder that while he is no longer with us, he was and still is aware of us.

So, next time you see a penny, or dime, lying on the ground or balancing on a shelf, it could be that someone you love is watching over you.  If you feel it's not for you, leave it for the person behind you because they may have been praying for peace and answers in that moment.





No comments: